T Levels

This new qualification combines classroom theory and practical learning with an extended industry placement of 45 days.

T Levels

T Levels are of particular interest if you are thinking about employment or a higher-level Apprenticeship on completion. These qualifications are highly respected as a recognised vocational equivalent to three A Levels for progression to higher education.

Why choose this course?

If you have an interest in technical construction or civil engineering this T Level may be the right course for you.

What will I learn?

This T Level consists of a Core Component, Occupational Specialism and an Industry Placement of 45 days. Modules will include: Health & safety, science, design, construction & the built environment industry, sustainability, measurement, building technology, information and data, relationship management, digital technology, construction business structure, project management, law, valuations, material properties, structural elements, loading and potential failure, maths for structural analysis, structural mechanics, maths techniques, geology and setting out earthworks. In addition to modules studied at College, you will spend a significant amount of time learning in the workplace. You will be guided and supported to develop skills and competence, applying what you have learnt to a real-world scenario.

Where will it take me?

With further training this qualification could lead to many careers within the building industry including construction site engineering, building control, geospatial surveying and town planning.

Your T Level Questions Answered

What is a T Level?

T Levels are new courses coming in September 2020 and will be equivalent to three A Levels.

T Levels combine classroom theory, practical learning and a three-month industry placement with an employer to make sure students have real experience of the workplace. T Levels have been developed in collaboration with employers so that the content meets the needs of industry and prepares students for work.

They provide the knowledge and experience needed to open the door to highly skilled employment, an Apprenticeship or higher level study. Around 80% of your time will be spent at College with the remaining 20% being spent at your placement. This differs to an Apprenticeship, which is typically 80% on-the-job and 20% in the classroom.

Experience with a real employer in a real workplace will allow you to apply the skills and knowledge you learn in the classroom to the job, giving you a taste of the world of work you can expect once you complete your studies.

How long do T Levels take?

Two years.

What do you need?

Four GCSEs at Grade 4 to include either English Language or Literature and/or Maths. A Level 2 Diploma at Merit in an appropriate subject can also be considered (plus English and/or Maths).

Where can I study construction T Levels in Cornwall?

Truro and Penwith College is the only provider in Cornwall to be selected by the Department for Education to deliver the first T Levels.



For more information on T Levels, visit our website:



t: 01872 267000

e: enquiry@truro-penwith.ac.uk